I kept seeing all over pinterest recipes to make your own Egg McMuffins and although I haven't been to McDonalds since I was a child it seemed like a fun freezer meal to try. It's a great freezer meal for easy breakfasts when you're in a hurry in the morning. There's two ways to make this: either mix all the ingredients in a bowl then pour into your baking pan. Or as I did it, put one egg into each section of a muffin pan then add the other ingredients. I wanted to make sure that each sandwich had exactly one egg.
Thomas Light English Muffins
vegetable of your choice: 1 bell pepper, spinach, or mushrooms
cheese of your choice shredded (I used cheddar)
spices of your choice: I used black pepper, celery seed (instead of salt), basil, oregano
dash of milk or half and half
1. Spray a muffin pan well, that means all the way up the sides, trust me later this will be difficult to clean. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Chop your vegetable into tiny pieces and fry on a pan.
3. In a bowl crack one egg, ensure no eggshell pieces have gotten inside then pour one egg into one muffin slot of the pan. Break up the egg a little with a fork. Repeat with the rest of your eggs.
4. Sprinkle a little shredded cheese into each egg and mix in. Add a dash of milk (I used half and half) to each egg. Then add your spices and veggies, but don't overfill the muffin slots.
5. If you're using a 12 slot muffin pan but only making 6 eggs, fill up the empty slots ¼ of the way with water.
6. Bake the eggs for 20 minutes. I also toasted the english muffins by slicing them in half and baking them at the same time for 10 minutes.
7. Assemble your sandwiches and wrap them individually in foil and store them in the freezer in the plastic bag the muffins came in.
8. To reheat just pop in the microwave. Just a warning, the inside of the muffin gets a little soggy, but it didn't really bother me. I did try warming one in the oven but it just took way too long.
9. I served it with ¼ an avocado and 10 blueberries which helped fill me up and brought the calorie count up to 279.
200 calories, 27g carbs, 1g fiber, 13g protein, 8g fiber, 7g fat