However for the month of October I've decided to mix up my routine a bit. I bought a groupon for a one month gym membership so I can take zumba classes 3x a week. I thought it would be a fun change, but also a hectic change since I'm so used to working out in the morning and having my whole evening free. I'm also going to challenge myself to not consume refined sugar and wine for the month to tone up for my favorite holiday - Halloween! I was inspired by Ashley who is giving up alcohol for a year.
Now that it's fall I make a pot of soup every Sunday for my lunch for the week. This week I made a lentil, coconut based soup with some Indian spices. Lentils are a great source of protein and cholesterol-lowering fiber which help stabilizing blood sugar levels They're also a great source of folate and magnesium which is good for heart health. Plus it has vitamin B, phosphorus, iron, potassium and other minerals.
Red Lentil Coconut Soup
- Saute the onions, bell pepper and jalapeno in olive oil
- Add the garlic, ginger, spices and tomato paste for a couple more minutes
- Add the water, coconut milk, lentils and beans, cook uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes
- Taste and adjust with salt and lime juice
- Serve the soup topped with a sprinkling of fresh cilantro